Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Bat Crazy on Cthulhu

I've actually only ever had a handful of people that had ever played the game Call of Cthulhu show up at a table over the last twelve years of doing conventions. On top of all this, the only CoC aficionado to ever show up at one of my games, was so rote superficial and smug about what he expected to happen, I turned the scenario, "In the Midnight Hour", into a quick kill fest and he died first. Monk would hear the guy complaining about me on his cell phone to his friends the next morning while having a cigarette. Mind you, plenty of folks show up, usually with generic tickets begging to be allowed into a Cthulhu event once in their real lives before dieing, and we have really have had some great times-- Will they remember me in their wills, only time will tell.

I have never liked how quickly my CoC games at conventions sell out. Then at the table, I am not so happy about how the signed up do not bother to show up. These days, I've stopped actually running CoC games, instead throwing the word "Cthulhu" somewhere in the event's description, just avoid to fan-driven ticket buying and manic tepid showing up. I also want the "purist" to head elsewhere as well.
Things in the "Cthulhu" world have also gone very soft. I've noticed that from games like Cthulhu Tech to Age of Cthulhu, that many game makers feel free to use the name. Well, I don't know know whether to believe the tales that August Dereleth actually never had rights to the works of H.P. Lovecraft or not, but I do know Ballantine Books laughed at his letters in the 80s. I also know, that if I mention a Lovecraftian element in a tale about a cursed gem in a pulp tale about a jewel thief, it doesn't have to be approved by anybody.

Check out Red Bat: Cthulhu and if you show up at my "Cthulhu" games with a printed copy from your laser/bubble jet printer, you get a free ticket into the adventure.

6 comments:

  1. Glad I designed that new character sheet for ya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could really use one of Teleha's best-designed character sheets. You game?

      Delete
  2. I did one for Red Bat, remember?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't we already publish it at DTRPG?

      Delete
    2. By the way, I was requesting a RB:Cthulhu sheet above.

      Delete
  3. Doubt I will get to it before GC, but will do one when I have a chance...I don't think you ever posted it to DTRPG

    ReplyDelete